Day one, 1998: Bye bye iPad, hello Gameboy Color



This picture documents the exact moment that the switch is being made - my iPad goes to my other half, and I receive a Gameboy Color in return (the actual one she bought me in 1998!).

In the end I had to be honest... My iPad is mainly used for sofa surfing or playing Angry Birds and Sparkle. So it seemed fair that a suitable swap would be for the top portable games console of 1998.

Here's what is ahead of me, according to Nintendo's launch marketing:


Looks awesome doesn't it? I'm willing to wager (and I'll find out tomorrow on my tube journey to work) that Tetris DX and Snoopy Tennis are just as playable as Angry Birds, if a little harder to see on the tiny screen. I have got both, as well as The Legend of Zelda (Link's Awakening) and Pokemon. If you see me on the tube trying to work out what on Earth Pokemon is all about, feel free to say hi.

Some stats for you:

Gameboy Color:

2.6" reflective screen
Resolution: 160 x 144 pixels
8-bit processor
119m units sold
Dimensions: 5.3" x 3" x 1"
Battery life: 30 hours
Game format: Cartridge
Top game: Zelda, with 4m copies sold

iPad:

9.7" backlit screen
Resolution: 1024 x 768 pixels
1GHz processor
12.5m units sold (predicted at end of 2010)
Dimensions: 9.5" x 7.5" x 0.5"
Battery life: 10 hours
Game format: Download
Top game: Couldn't find the info but guessing Angry Birds

Now... Anyone got a PlayStation I can borrow?

THE END.
 
 
Copyright © The 1998 Project
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com